Wednesday 11 November 2009

Day 16 (Fifth Post)

It started soon after eating the aforementioned Chicken Tikka & Onion Bhaji Wrap. A bloated stomach accompanied with mild cramps. I've just eaten too much, I thought. But two days later the cramps had become considerably worse and I got the chills. Feeling grim, I took a day off work and stayed wrapped up for a while, eating small portions at mealtimes and avoiding snacks. I had simply lost my appetite.

The water continued to flow into my glass, with the occasional teaspoonful of Andrews salts to settle my stomach. And when Monday came and the cramps subsided, I realised that four days had passed where I hadn't overeaten. I hadn't skipped any meals either but I usually crave snacks in between, and I just couldn't face any extra food.

This led me to ask some questions about appetite: Was it all in the mind? I hadn't felt hungry at all but I still ate because I knew I should, and because I didn't want to make the cramps worse by having an empty stomach. Obviously appetite comes when we don't eat for a while but how can some people (thin people) keep the feeling at bay while others feel the need to quash hunger by eating immediatley? And is there a way of 'losing' your appetite other than contracting a virus or going through some kind of emotional trauma? Cos if there is, I want to know!

By yesterday I was feeling fine again and toddled off to my legs, bums and tums class at the gym. After 45 minutes of grapevines and sit-ups, I weighed myself and was pleasantly surprised to find I had shed 1.5lbs over the past week.

So now I know what to do this week: keep drinking the water and hang around sick people.

No comments:

Post a Comment