Tuesday 27 October 2009

Day 1 (Second Post)

Well, I am officially on my water diet. Instead of my normal orange juice at breakfast, morning coffee, cordial with lunch, cups of tea at work and a hot orange just before bedtime, I have only sipped water.

My morning intake was increased by a trip to the gym so all in all I think I've drunk 3 litres today. According to Government guidelines we should be drinking 6-8 glasses of water per day (1.2litres), so I'm doing OK.

I haven't drunk for the sake of it, only when thirsty, so am not in danger of overdoing it. Which some people have. Unbelievably, people have actually died from drinking too much water.

While doing some research for this project, a Google search for 'water diet' brought up this story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/8171281.stm It's about a woman in her twenties who lived off soup and water to get down to 9st 2lb. She was still in her healthy BMI range but her body lacked sugar so ketoacidosis was triggered, where the body eats into its own fat reserves.

And this woman died after drinking 7 pints of water in one day, while on the Lighter Life plan: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Water-Diet-Mother-Jacqueline-Henson-Dies-On-LighterLife-Diet-After-Drinking-Too-Much-Water/Article/200812215177968  Her over-drinking led to a swelling of the brain.

I have no intention of forcing myself to drink a specific amount of water and I am coupling this project with a healthy, balanced diet.

Today has been pretty easy for me, apart from noticing that I was REALLY hungry at about 2pm. This was after a gym class and having walked through town carrying a copious amount of early Christmas shopping, so I think that hunger was justified.

Although I know there are tough times ahead – parties, meals out, birthdays, brewtimes – I am determined to see this thing through at least until my birthday, which is seven weeks away. So bring on the Evian!

No comments:

Post a Comment